Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Cambie!



I finally made myself a Sewaholic Cambie - and in the same fabric as the Tasia's version in her pattern store photos - which I didn't realize until after I made it up :)


I used a lightweight interfacing on the waistband, but it was too lightweight.  So, on the lining waistband I used sewn-in hair canvas.  I think this is ok - it looks very light on the exposed sheer swiss dot, and it holds a firm shape.  My only criticism is it's a bit scratchy, even through the lining.

I did not hem it as short as the pattern asked for - it's really already a smidge too short for me with the ~5/8" machine rolled hem that I did instead.

This dress takes a little time, because you assemble the lining and then sew the two together sandwiched around the invisible zip.  However, it is simple to sew - I made it up in about a week of evening sewing sessions.  I used my serger to assemble the skirt pieces, as hem for the lining, and to finish the center back seams before zipper application.  I used my sewing machine for everything else, as it's much more precise than the serger.


The exterior sewn and awaiting zipper attachment


Assembling the lining...

I can't say enough for her patterns for pear-shaped girls!  My only alteration was to do a swayback because... THIS is what it looked like before:

And after, with a little over 1" taken from the center tapered to nothing at the side seams:




A little close-up of the neckline, and pleated cap sleeves.  Because you have stay-stiched this in advance, the final attachment of the sleeves and also the attachment of the lining to bodice are a breeze, just sew along the dotted line!


3 comments:

  1. What a lovely dress. It's spot on. Thanks for a thorough review. Can you explain taking off inches at the center back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I need to alter the pattern pieces, so I will post a couple of photos tomorrow showing what I do.

      Delete
  2. Lovely, lovely dress. Beautiful and I love the review here and on PR.

    ReplyDelete