Thursday, May 15, 2014

Mediocre, but functional sewing

Despite my New Year's resolution to sew all my clothing, I decided to purchase a couple pairs of jeans.  My reasoning was, that I don't really want to sew jeans and I'd rather sew what I want to sew than stick to a resolution on principle.

I buy OldNavy jeans, as they are inexpensive, and also come graded for 3 different shapes.  I buy the most pear-shaped jeans they offer - the SweetHeart.  These still fall off me due to a large waist, and you can see EVERYTHING if I don't have a shirt long enough to cover the rear.

I finally decided they were not wearable, and I had to alter them.
Terror ensued.
I have never sewn jeans, or a flat-felled seam.

This morning, I ripped out the seams, and cut a chunk off the center back, and out of the waistband.  I took the waist in by a little over 3" tapering quickly to nothing.  I don't think I'm putting the center carrier back on - I don't wear belts.

It's pretty clear what's my topstitching, and what's from the factory when you look here:

It's not PRETTY, but they fit much better.  Also anyone standing next to me can no longer see my underpants. 




No comments:

Post a Comment