Tuesday, September 10, 2013

UFO #2 Butterick 5824

Unfinished from last winter is Gertie's coat - Butterick 5824.  I have a bodice muslin that fits well after a few alterations.  The fabric is a discount wool houndstooth purchased at Sew Low Discount fabrics in Cambridge, Ma.  The poly charmeuse lining was also purchased there.


I want to interline the bodice for warmth, and purchased 2 yards of sew-in Pellon Thermolam.  I've read up on different techniques this here.  I plan to try the second technique, and baste the Thermolam inside the garment fabric after sewing it up.  For me, this is preferable to underlining because I do not want to add bulk to the seams.  I also didn't want to try quilting the Thermolam to the lining, because I don't like the look of a quilted lining on a formal coat.

I took the wool to my dry cleaner to steam, so that it would not shrink.  It was $25!!  I won't be doing that again any time soon.  My other woolens I have steamed with the iron at home, but with 7 yards of 60" wide fabric, I decided to spring for the dry cleaner.  I took it home, and patiently cut out 3/4 of the garment fabric, including adding tailor's tacks - but stopped when the weather started getting warm.

Now that it's fall once again, I'm tempted to start on this one.  I am terrified to attempt making a coat, but with the ease of kimono-sleeves this should be a good introductory garment. I'm familiar with basic linings and bound buttonholes from other projects.  The new-to-me techniques are the collar, and the interlining.   This UFO seems simpler than the jacket in my last post.


No comments:

Post a Comment